There are many ways to clean your carpet using DIY carpet cleaning solutions. To answer the question, “how to use vinegar and baking soda to make DIY carpet cleaning soution” we have to consider a lot of topics here.
But firstly, let’s answer the question why they are the most popular choice amongst all the households. Vinegar and baking soda are one of the most common household ingredients which almost every house has. And they are also items that are easily available everywhere.
Now let’s discuss other aspects of this thoroughly.
Table of Contents
What Is Vinegar, And Why Is It Used In DIY Carpet Cleaning Solution?
Vinegar is made out of acetic acid. It has a pungent odor. It also tastes sour. For a specific reason, we use it as a significant ingredient of DIY carpet cleaning solution.
The acidic nature gives vinegar the strength to dissolve dirt, germs, grease, mineral deposits etc. It is also powerful enough to destroy bacteria. Because of its acidic behavior, it is used as a vital ingredient in DIY carpet cleaning solution.
What is Baking Soda, and why is it used in DIY carpet cleaning solution??
Baking soda sodium bicarbonate which is basically a salt.
Some of the reasons behind why it is used as a significant ingredient in DIY carpet cleaning solution:
- Unlike other options, baking soda absorbs odor in itself instead of masking the odor.
- Because of its abrasive nature it works far better than any usual soap.
- It passes gases, like – carbon dioxide.
- It works pretty well with vinegar because of the acidic-basic nature of them.
These are some of the reasons behind using baking soda as an important component in making the best DIY carpet cleaning solution.
Best Carpet Cleaning Solution
Carpets can be stained in many ways and we can solve these problems using DIY carpet cleaning solutions made of vinegar and baking soda.
Is carpet cleaning hard? I don’t think so. If you have these two ingredients, you can easily clean your carpet by yourself.
Here, we are going to discuss some problems and the solutions of these problems using vinegar and baking soda as the key ingredients of the carpet cleaning solution.
Coffee Stain And How To Remove Them:
Coffee stain is a very common way to stain your carpet. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money removing that, you can make your own DIY carpet cleaning solution using vinegar and baking soda.
The steps you need to follow here is –
- Try to remove as much stain as possible with paper towels if it is a fresh stain.
- Spray a generous amount of white vinegar and coat the stain fully.
- Then sprinkle some baking soda on top of that.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, vacuum the baking soda.
- Keep repeating the process until the stain is completely removed.
Ink Stain And How To Remove Them:
It is also a very common stain that can be caused mostly because of a faulty pen. Without spending a lot of money removing that, you can use vinegar and baking soda to clean your carpet from this ink stain.
And this is how you do it.
- Mix baking soda and water and make a paste. Using cotton balls, apply the paste very gently on the ink stain. Don’t rub it but dab it. After a time, the ink would stop coming from the stain. Then wipe the stain with a colorless paper towel.
- Take an equal percentage of cold water and vinegar and make a solution. Then soak the entire portion of your carpet in the solution Every 10 minutes, blot the stain with some colorless clean fabric. Whenever the stain is removed, wash the carpet.
Blood Stain And How To Remove Them:
Because of accidental reasons, that sometimes blood can be spilled on the carpet. It is needless to say that the first step here is to stop the bleeding of the injured person, and then take care of the carpet.
Here is how you can remove the blood stain from a carpet using vinegar and baking soda in the DIY carpet cleaning solution.
- The solution of two cups of white vinegar and two cups of warm water, add 4 tablespoons of baking soda. Mix it and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray to the blood stain.
- Wait for 8-10 minutes for it to soak.
- Blot the carpet and make it dry. Soak up the residue using a damp cloth.
- Air dry the area completely.
- Use any fabric washer with a nice smell to remove the smell of the vinegar.
Pet Stain And How To Remove Them:
Pets bring a lot of happiness in our house. But it causes damage to the carpet by scratches or stains or in many different ways. This can be removed using vinegar and baking soda in a homemade carpet cleaning solution.
Let’s go through the process of that.
- Pour white vinegar on the stain and cover it totally.
- Then sprinkle some baking soda on top of that.
- Then let them do their job and wait for the mixture to bubble up and absorb the spill.
- Rub it until the stain is gone and use something that is colorless and clean.
- Dry that and vacuum the carpet.
These are some of the problems that can damage the look and fabric of our carpet and some solutions of these problems.
Will Baking Soda Cause Any Harm To The Carpet?
It is very beautiful. The baking soda has damaged the carpet. But it is very common to find cases where baking soda has damaged the underlay of the carpet.
It is also very hard to remove every bit of baking soda from the carpet after all the hassle. The small particles of baking soda sometimes travel through the fabric and damage from undernated the fiber.
But as baking soda is not used regularly on the carpet accept for removing the strain in a homemade way, then your carpet is safe.
Will Vinegar Cause Any Harm To The Carpet?
The natural fibres, like- woo, silk etc are very sensitive. That is why using acidic abrasives like vinegar is going to affect the texture of the fabric. Besides, changing colour is also a very common phenomenon with the carpet where vinegar is used to remove frequent stains.
So yes, there are some disadvantages of using vinegar as well.
Both vinegar and baking soda have some disadvantages. But that is why, you have to make sure that you do not use them frequently to remove stains from your carpet. There are also other ways and other ingredients that can be DIY and homemade to remove stains from carpet.
If you’re ever in a situation where you need emergency carpet cleaning, then you should definitely call a professional.
Also, make sure to check whether you have already damaged your carpet using vinegar and baking soda or not. If the damage is out of control, then take professional help. If not, then stop the frequent use. Some occasional usage of vinegar and baking soda is okay. But don’t overdo that.